Friday, March 14, 2008

Friday's Fave Foods---Okra


I have to admit I have been fascinated with okra ( or "okree" as it is sometimes locally pronounced) since I moved here. It comes froma plant that grows about 6 feet tall, which flowers and then produces a pod. The pod is what you eat. Apparently this plant loves heat and humidity. And that is why you will find okra in the South, and not too many other places in the United States.

The prefered method for cooking is fried. And that is some good stuff!

Here is a good one:

Grandma's Fried Okra

1 pound fresh okra (medium to small pods are best)

cornmeal or cornmeal mix

*olive oil

salt and pepper to taste

Trim ends off the okra and cut into pinwheels. Coat with corn meal, and fry in olive oil until the outside is cripy and the inside tender, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Use slotted spoon to retrieve okra from the pan, place on paper towels, salt and pepper.

*A seasoned iron skillet is best. Okra takes to an iron skillet like horse and carriage.

Ok, fine, but if you are like me, you might not be able to do alot of fried foods. So I like this version ALOT;

Sauteed Okra with Tomatoes

1 lb. of fresh okra (small to medium pods)

1 small red onion

1 lb of fresh tomatoes ( you could subsitute canned in a pinch)

garlic

*olive oil

salt and pepper to taste

Cut onion into thin slices and sautee in hot oil till soft, about 3 minutes. Meanwhile, trim your okra and slice into pinwheels. Add to onion mix, and cook about 2 more minutes. Add garlic. I use the minced garlic you buy in jars, and I am pretty liberal with it. Add fresh tomato wedges last, salt and pepper to taste, cook about 1 more minute. Okra should be tender but not soggy. This is good as a side dish, or over rice as an entree.

Last but not least is my absolute favorite, and that is pickled okra. Better than dill pickled cucumbers. I do not have a recipe for this. I am reduced to buying mine at the grocery. My boys love these!

****************************************************************

ADDENDUM

I want to thank my friend Mrs. K from Texas has sent in her pickled okra recipe, so now my blog is complete. Hurray!

Pickled Okra

4 pounds okra (small pods-finger sized)
4 pounds fresh jalepeno or serrano peppers, sliced into thin rounds
4 cups white vinegar
4 cups water
10-12 plump garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
12-24 sprigs of fresh dill
1/2 cup salt
1/4 cup whole mustard seeds

Wash and trim the okra, leaving 1/2 inch of the stem on each pod as a handle. Neatly pack the okra pods vertically into sterilized jars. Slice the peppers into rounds and add to the jars of okra. Combine remaining ingredients in a large sauce pan and bring to a boil; pour over okra and peppers. Seal.


Mrs. K. says;


"I can't take credit for the recipe as it it Tom Perini's but it sure is yummy. Tom Perini owns a restaraunt not too far from here that specializes in Cowboy cooking. If you're ever in West Texas you have to eat at the Perini Ranch"

1 comment:

Not Betty Crocker said...

I have a yummy pickled okra recipe if you want it. We always plant okra in our garden and it produces a ton. Most summertime meals include fried okra but I have to pickle what's left so it doesn't go to waste. I'll have to try the tomato and okra recipe this year-that sounds good.