Friday, May 9, 2008

Friday's Fave Foods---Lemon Bars

what a lemon bar should look like


Hollander and Friends....this is for you, should you find this link!!!!







I hardly know where to begin. I was exposed to a blog that is all about one of the restaurant units I manage on campus! It is rather tongue in cheek. They like to crucify the food, but I notice in their blog, they rarely go elsewhere, and when they do they are quite critical as well. The thing they like to write about the most is our lemon bars. I don't blame them. Our cooks take what should be a straightforward recipe and screw the h@ll out of it. Unfortunately I do not supervise these cooks, and when I take my complaints about how the food is prepared, (or not) to the person who supervises them, or even to the person that supervises the supervisor, NOTHING happens. Also, I am not allowed to speak to the cooks about it because it is "out of my realm of supervision". It makes no sense. I often speak with them anyway. It is ridiculous! This may soon change, as we are in shake-up mode right now. Politics!







Anyway, their blog is funny, and I am glad I found it! Lemon bars are the very first thing I learned to bake as a child of about 12, so I take issue with "professional" people that mess it up!







Lemon Bars*** Better Homes & Gardens "New" Cook Book







6 TBSP butter or margarine



1/4 C granulated sugar



1 C all purpose flour



2 eggs



3/4 C granulated sugar



2 TBSP all purpose flour



1/4 tsp finely shredded lemon peel



3 TBSP lemon juice



1/4 tsp baking powder







Grease 8x8x2 inch baking pan. Beat bitter for 30 seconds; add the 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 tsp of salt, beating till fluffy. Stir in the 1 cup of flour. Pan dough onto the bottom of pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, beat eggs, add remaining 3/4 cup sugar, 2 TBSP flour, lemon peel, lemon juice, and baking powder. Beat 3 minutes or till slightly thickened. Pour over baked layer. Bake in 350 degree oven 25 to 30 minutes longer, or till light golden brown around the edges and the center is set. Cool. Sift powdered sugar over top. Cut into squares. Makes 16.







Notes: Be careful about greasing the baking pan. The grease can be absorbed by the dough, which will make the whole thing greasy and just plain yucky!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Oooo, it's Friday again! I love your Friday Faves! And lemon bars--too yummy! They are one of my favorite foods. I think as a mother's day gift to myself I'm going to make a whole pan just for me. Oink oink :)

Mark E. Johnson said...

FWIW, we poke fun at the food because, really, we've run out of ways to make fun of each other ... and we also know our dean and department head read the blog, so we we can't make fun of them, either ...

And there are weeks when the lemon bars are very nicely done. And Hollander and I agree the cobblers are pretty darn good.