Monday, September 15, 2008

Autumn Joy



I missed my Friday post. Feeling a little blue about that, but I was just too exhausted. Looking out in the yard this evening to see what is going on, aside from the need to cut my grass!



I'm so grateful I planted a little of this and a little of that as the years went by. This sedum, "Autumn Joy" was just a (tough) little thing when I put it in the ground 3 or 4 years ago. I expected it to take off fairly quickly and give an impressive show the next year. It grew taller and it bloomed but it was not that impressive. It looked kind of lanky and lonely there by itself in the front of the border. But it's improved every year, and finally this year it is starting to fill some space, and the color is very striking.







I kind of expected it to act like this sedum, which was another native I found a spot of in the far corner my front border. Talk about lonely. The original plant for this thing were just a few lanky seedlings, trying to survive, almost out of sight, certainly out of mind. I spotted a few flowers on it in the early fall that first year, and surmised it must be something, and the next spring I dug it up and put it in the sun. It grew enormously the first year, and did really well. I was able to divide it and use it as an anchor in the upper border. Eventually I divided it into four plants and they are all doing great except when the deer get ahold of them. Deer think this plant is TASTY. This plant is tough, but not that tough!


I'm waiting for my order from Michigan Bulb. Not bulbs, perennials. In the South you have to plant spring or fall. Otherwise, you are pretty much wasting your money. Except for Knock-out Roses. Those things don't care! Mine have grown at least 3 times their size since I planted them in July! I ordered more white coneflower and daylilies for my new flower bed. I'm also going to plant a Japanese Maple***Georgia's own "Glowing Embers"***in that bed too. If I ever get it properly weeded and mulched I'll take a picture! For the upper border, which is long and boasts a micro climate of deep shade (hosta, azalea) part shade (hydrangea) part sun (gardenia) and full sun (buddelhia) I ordered a white butterfly bush. Ordered in July, ship in September. I can't remember if I ordered one or two.


Sadly, I have somehow killed my Oakleaf Hydrangea. It was looking so good the last few years. I actually think I must have let it get too dry. I really can't imagine what else, unless it got a disease, but nothing else around it is affected. A sad mystery. I'm really looking forward to working in my yard this fall. Summer is dreadful around here!

No comments: