Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Knock-Out Roses



Some people say that Knock-Out roses are overdone in the Southeast, but I am here to sing their praises! First of all, it is very difficult to grow other types of roses here. Very difficult. Most roses DO NOT like the heat and humidity we experience in the summer. Can you blame them??? Knock-Outs, however will perform all summer long, even thrive. I planted mine last month in my new border I'm working on. (Everyone knows you don't plant in Georgia in July! Mail order companies won't even ship to you this time of year!) But my roses are doing great 30 days later, blooming, and even producing new growth. Garden snobs will turn their noses up, calling this a no brainer. This time of year, in my yard, I need a no brainer!

They come in lots of different varieties and colors. I just happened to want these red ones, which were on sale at Lowes :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your roses but I just can't get past the thorns enough to buy any. Yours are making me rethink my ban on them in my garden.

Gretchen