Friday, August 1, 2008

Friday's Fave Foods***Hearty Lentil Soup


Recently I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's, which is a thyroid condition. I am not going to to into too much detail about it in this column, except to say that this explains why I gained 40 pounds over the last 6 years, and have been very frustrated with that. It seems finally now I am on the proper medication which will enable my thyroid to work, which should enable me to lose some weight. Believe me, I will still have to work at it...I'm not one where the weight falls off miraculously. Even after pregnancy and nursing, I really had to work hard at it. My body wanted to hang onto that extra TO PROTECT THE BABY! But...thru hard work and perseverance, I did it. Twice. Now I have to do it again. In case anyone is wondering, it is quite difficult to lose 40 lbs.

The other issue I think about alot, as we all do in these times of gas prices eating our budgets alive, is cost effectiveness, and at the same time providing healthy food. So I will be presenting columns occasionally based on both these factors. And I am open to comment and suggestion. Please feel free!

HEARTY LENTIL SOUP

1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 TBSP of extra-virgin olive oil
8 cups of chicken broth (use low sodium if you are trying to be super-healthy)
1.5 cups of brown or French lentils, rinsed and drained
1 medium tomato, chopped and seeded
3 TBSP of chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 TBSP of lemon juice
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp of fennel seeds, finely crushed
Kosher or Sea salt
Freshly ground pepper

In 6-8 Dutch oven cook onion, carrot, and garlic in hot oil for about 10 minutes or until tender.
Add broth and lentils. Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes until lentils are tender.
Stir in tomato, parsley, lemon juice, cumin, and fennel seeds. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

NOTES: Obviously using all fresh ingredients is going to yield a superior product. Most of us do not live the kind of lifestyle that affords that either financially or time-wise, so I often use a small can of diced tomatoes, and as I've said before, I buy minced garlic in a jar. Also, you can put your crock pot on low and make it there as well. I usually heat the oil, throw the onion and carrot in for a while, until it's cooked down a bit, then add everything else. Be sure the liquid you are adding to a hot crock is room temp or warmer, otherwise you will be cracking your crock pot. I know from experience! :)

Anytime you cook with legumes, you are stretching your nutritional value as well as your dollar value just about as far as you can. I often will cook the liquid down in this recipe and put the lentils over rice for a meal. YUM!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your "Friday Fave Foods" day and this soup looks like it will be really good. I may have to save it till it cools off a little here.

Thanks.
Gretchen