Friday, December 26, 2008

Friday's Fave's***Handmade Gifts


During the Holidays this season I noticed an undercurrent of sobriety in the general attitude of the folks. (I work with the public) People that had money were not spending it as freely, including myself. Gifts were still purchased, but with greater meaning than in years past, and frivolity seemed absent. Many of us returned to the handmade gift, one of life's greatest pleasures! Both to give and to receive.
I was so grateful for my new countertop and dishwasher! It made the baking process so much easier for me, I actually had ROOM to work!

Thumbprint cookies before the jam



Putting it all together
I'm sure Martha Stewart has a recipe for those pirouette's
but at $5.43 for 32 of them, it's best for this busy mom to buy them!



Cut them in 1/2 with a very sharp knife, and you can do even more!

I used parchment paper cut to size for dividing the layers of goodies. Wax paper will work too.

Danish Wedding Cookies on the left, YUM!
Not Everyone appreciates a food gift. Sometimes a beverage gift is in order!



Mother's little helper!

This was gifted to me. It got me to thinking I should do some Peach Brandy next year, in the greatest of Georgia traditions.

Not everyone wants a food gift, so I also strung a few bracelets as well. I have plenty of beads on hand, as that is one of my hobbies (addictions) so all I really had to do was think of the people I wanted to gift, and their specific tastes. I do have my own style when it comes to mixing beads though. I like to mix the refined (pearls and crystals) with the organic (raw amethysts and fresh water pearls), and a hint of metal (silver) never hurts!

*******************************

I really enjoyed doing this. I had gotten away from it, as it became easier to purchase gifts and I had the means. But in retrospect, that had become so stressful. This was very rewarding to me. I plan to do more of it next year.

No comments: