Friday, January 2, 2009

Friday's Fave Foods***New York Strips in a Scotch Marinade


Happy New Year!


Let me first clarify that this is not a post about New York strippers, in spite of that racy title! It is a post about New York Strip Steak. We do not eat a lot of steak, or even beef at Camp Osceola, but this year for Christmas Dinner we were looking to do something different than the average fare. While a rib roast is certainly traditional, I did not want to cook too much food. Also a rib roast (prime rib) has so much fat in it---which is why it tastes so good---I could not justify doing that to myself or my kids. I think this would also be a good choice for a formal New Year's Eve Menu. Or if you have a meat and potatoes kind of guy. (And most guys are, even if they won't admit it!) This marinade also works on other cuts of beef, but is particularly good for a strip steak because of it's density, and it's natural flavor.


New York Strip Steaks in a Scotch Whiskey Marinade


1/3 c. Scotch whiskey

1/4 c. brown sugar

1/3 c. soy sauce

2 tbsp. Dijon mustard

1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 onion, chopped

4 New York strip sirloin steaks


In a container large enough to hold the steaks, combine all ingredients for marinade. Place steaks in marinade and leave in refrigerator overnight. Remove steaks from marinade and broil as desired.

NOTES: I grilled mine on the Weber, so that's an option too. Yep, standing out there in my Santa Hat, cookin' Christmas dinner.


Your good scotch will work, but I'm not a scotch drinker, so I had to go to the package store on Christmas Eve (it was busier than Walmart!) and buy a (relatively) cheap bottle. Which might be your best option too if you don't want your guy to know you used his good scotch!

No comments: