Monday, January 19, 2009

Kitchen Redo Finally Done


5 weeks ago I started this project, and of course, we got the really important part done the first 3 days.


Before


A pretty cool old sink, and in good condition, but I thought a continuous counter top would be more efficient, so it was out with the old.



Here we go. It was a long week-end. Of course I hired someone to do the work. But it's difficult to have the kitchen torn up.




Here we are back together, with new counter, sink and a dishwasher installed.



HALLELUJAH!!!
(on so many levels!)






The sink is cast acrylic. I was nervous about this, but my plumber assured me that they were an awesome product.


(He is right about that)


Very lightweight. Not expensive. Clean up is super easy!


I really wanted to splurge on my counter top and get granite. But the counter alone would have cost me more than the entire job ended up being, so I made peace with a custom piece of laminate.


The faucet I had bought just a few months previous and had installed. I did not cut corners there, and it was about the same price as the sink.


The 'country white' cabinets were annoying the holy heck out of me up against the ultra white of the new dishwasher, so I decided it was time to repaint them. I also decided to put the cabinet doors back on the upper units. I had taken them off several years ago when I painted the cabinets white the first time. I realized when I put the doors back on the lower units that putting cabinets back together was hard. At that point I decided we were going to go with open shelving for awhile.



Then I had this problem.


I knew it was time for the cabinets doors to go back on.




I managed to get these painted during the Christmas Holiday.


(Wow, look at the difference in those 'whites'!)



AFTER


I've been working on getting it all back together for the past week. After I painted the cabinets ultra white, I decided the hardware was quite dated, and the new paint really emphasized that. It was black and looked really harsh. So, new knobs and pulls too.



YAY!

So, the final price tag, including labor?

Just a little over 12 Benjamens.

And my life is much improved. I do need to paint the walls and the ceiling in the near future, and I need a new refrigerator, but those things are not critical just yet.

I'm on to the next project. I will keep you posted!

No comments: