Friday, January 9, 2009

Friday's Fave Foods***Zucchini Fries


Well, it's that time of year again, when so many of us resolve to eat better. For myself, I have at least 40 lbs to lose, so for the most part, I will be posting healthy recipes in the foreseeable future. Bear with me, meat and potato people. You know I'll throw one in, here and there!

I do like vegetables, and they do like me, (red meat, not so much) so I am always looking for a new way to use them.

Roasted Zucchini Fries

INGREDIENTS

Cooking Spray, olive oil is preferable


4 small zucchini, approx. 1.5#, trimmed and cut into 3 wedges


1/4 teaspoon salt (sea salt or Kosher salt is preferable)


Freshly ground black pepper to taste


1 TBSP of olive oil, extra virgin


2 TBSP of Parmigiana, freshly grated




INSTRUCTIONS

*Preheat oven to 450 degrees


*Line a rimmed baking pan with foil and spray with cooking spray


*In a large bowl, combine zucchini, salt, pepper and oil. Toss to coat thoroughly

*Arrange zucchini on prepared baking sheet in a single layer and roast, tossing once halfway thru cooking, for 18-20 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Transfer to a plate and sprinkle with cheese and serve.
Calories, 1 cup serving = 60




Notes: The nutritional bonus in zucchini is a healthy dose of vitamin C, as well as manganese, a mineral that helps keep bones strong and protects cells from free radical damage.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks...sounds delish...looking forward to more of this type recipes. I need to lose about 40 pounds also.