Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A New Look For An Old Chest

I'd been wanting to do this for along time, and finally got it this past week-end. This little dresser had been living in my linen closet.


It was quite a mess in there and I am not brave enough to show you the before picture. I will say this little chest has served me well. My friend's mother bought it for me at a yard sale for $5.00 when I was living in a walk-up apartment in San Francisco, and it was small enough and light enough to get up the stairs and thru a narrow long hallway. It had funky retro skinny 8 inch legs on it, and the drawers were painted orange. I know that's cool these days, but it did not go with my 1908 Victorian, so I painted the whole thing white and put little ball feet on it.



See the orange? And you can tell I set a few coffee cups on this thing, LOL



Here is my baker's rack. I like it, but it never looks this un-cluttered. I decided to do something different with this little nook. The baker's rack is the next project. I'm going to paint it white and pink for the girl's room.


I'm liking the black on this chest.



It looks really rich!

Does not take up as much room as the baker's rack. Also does not hide the all-important surge protector, so I will have to fine a way to deal with that. I loved that mirror and just had to have it! The drawers are full of photos, scrap booking supplies, linens, china (!) and the top drawer is for the girls coloring books, puzzles and other table activities, since this chest is right next to the table. As soon as I get it all put back together I will take another shot of that end of the room for the total effect.
Total cost
Paint: $7.00
New Pulls: 8 @ 1.17 e
Mirror: $35.00
Not bad for a new look!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love how your chest of drawers looks painted black. The mirror above it really adds to it too.

Gretchen