Sunday, March 15, 2009

Rapid Risotto


I realize I used to do these recipes every Friday, and I would love to go back to that schedule, but for now I'm lucky to get them posted over the week-end, so until I can get back on that Friday schedule, if you are looking for recipes, know that they are sure to appear between Friday and Sunday!


For now I'm sticking to lo-cal good food. BTW I made that bean and shrimp dish again last week after I posted, and it was to die for! I got a pound of frozen large shrimp at Sam's Club for about $14.00. Yes, that is more than I usually like to spend for food, but I still have 1/2 a bag in the freezer, and wow it was GOOD as well as good for me!


Now, about Risotto:

"Risotto is a rich and creamy, traditional Italian rice dish. It is one of the most common ways of cooking rice in Italy." (Wikipedia)


We are cheating just a bit using the microwave. Alternatively you can stand over the stove top constantly stirring for 45 minutes to get this dish, but it is hard for me to come up with that kind of time, especially when I'm using this for a side dish.


Microwave Risotto serves 8


1 & 3/4 cup of vegetable broth

1 cup uncooked Aborio rice

1/2 cup of dry white wine

1/2 cup of frozen chopped onion

1 TBSP olive oil

1/2 cup of finely chopped plum (Roma) tomato

1/2 cup of freshly shredded Parmesan cheese

1/2 tsp of fresh ground pepper

1/8 tsp salt

2 TBSP fresh chopped parsley


Combine first 5 ingredients in a 1 & 1/2 qt. microwave safe dish. Cover with plastic wrap and vent. Microwave at HIGH 12-15 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed. Remove from microwave, carefully removing plastic wrap. Add tomato and next 3 ingredients, stirring well. Cover and let stand until ready to serve. Stir in parsley just before serving.

(Calories: 153 per 1/2 cup, Fiber 1.5 grams)


Notes: You can substitute veggie broth if you do not want to use wine. DO NOT substitute the rice. Also, you can serve risotto as a main dish. In this case I would stir in a sprinkling of pine-nuts for protein, texture and taste, and serve with some baguette-parmesan cheese toasts. YUM!

No comments: