Friday, February 8, 2008

Friday's Fave Foods---Lemon Meringue Pie

This recipe comes from my mom, Carol. She made this pie my entire life, and she was famous for it. My dad loved it. I just found out in October when she came for a visit it actually came from "Better Homes and Gardens", 1957 edition. I thought it was a secret family recipe! Enjoy!



Lemon Meringue Pie
1 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups water
1 TBSP butter
1/4 cup cornstarch
3 TBSP cold water
6 TBSP lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon peel (she never did this, but I would)
3 egg yolks
2 TBSP milk
1 8-inch pastry shell (she always made hers, not me :)



MERINGUE:
3 egg whites
6 TBSP sugar
1 tsp lemon juice



Combine sugar, water, and butter, heat until sugar dissolves. Add cornstarch blended with cold water; cook slowly until clear, about 8 minutes. Add lemon juice and peel; cook 2 minutes. Slowly add egg yolks beaten with milk; bring to boil. Cool. Pour into cooled baked shell. MERINGUE: Beat egg whites stiff but not dry; add sugar gradually; add lemon juice at the last. Sperad over cooled filling, sealing to edges of pastry. Brown in moderate over (350) 13 to 15 minutes.

No comments: