Friday, April 18, 2008

Friday's Fave Foods---Chicken in Wine

I am in a California mood. My oldest son is moving back to the native state this week-end so it is on my mind. It's where I first got into the food business. It is when I became aware of regional cooking. It's really where I became aware of cooking as an art or a hobby, at all. My mom is a good cook, but to her it was a duty.


Robert Mondavi Winery, Napa Valley



On one of my trips back there, I found an old cookbook that I love, called "Bottles and Bins Recipes" published by C. Mondavi & Sons in 1965. Mondavi and Charles Krug are wineries in Northern California in the Napa/Sonoma area. I can't remember all the history, but I'm pretty sure they are all the same family---now with Charles Krug supposedly producing the quantity and R. Mondavi producing the quality.

"Bottles and Bins" was a quarterly produced by the Charles Krug Winery that began to publish recipes, cooking with wine. This little bound book I have is compilation of those recipes.



Chicken In Wine ---Submitted by Mrs. R.M. Janopal, Palo Alto, California



"Two small broilers, cut into halves. Shake in paper bag with salt and 2 TBSP of paprika. Brown in 2 TBSP oil in skillet. Transfer to baking pan.



To oil remaining in skillet, add 2 chopped green onions, 1 clove garlic, 1 TBSP of sweet basil, 1 cup of sour cream and 1/2 cup of Charles Krug Chablis. Mix and warm thoroughly. Pour over chicken in baking pan: cover and bake at 325 degrees in over for 1 hour. Serve with rice."



NOTES: Obviously, you can substitute the wine with any sweet wine or Chablis. The sweet basil she calls for is likely dried, so if you are using fresh, only use half as much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Home Broker, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://home-broker-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.