Friday, April 25, 2008

Friday's Fave Foods----Original Caesar Salad


In 1983, after graduating from California State University Sacramento, I moved back home. For those of you old enough to remember, we were in a terrible recession. I had been on my own all through college, and continued after graduation. But when I lost my job, I decided to move home and regroup. I got a job at this country club, and it was my start in the restaurant business. Here is one of the first things I learned.
Caesar Salad for 2---Alfredo Lopez*
1 anchovy
1 tsp of minced garlic in 1 tsp of olive oil
dash of Tabasco
dash of Worcestershire
1 tsp of Dijon mustard
pinch of dry mustard
dash of ground pepper
juice from 1/2 a lemon
3 TBSP of olive oil
1 and 1/2 TBSP of red wine vinegar
1 *coddled* egg
fresh chopped Romain leaves, enough for two people
2 TBSP of fresh grated Parmesan cheese
2 TBSP of homemade (or good quality) croutons
In a shallow bowl, mash anchovy and garlic together with a fork until smooth
Add ingredients except for lettuce, cheese and croutons, in order listed, mixing well to make a smooth liquid. Pour over romaine, which should be in a wooden salad bowl for best results. Toss gently about 3 times making sure the dressing has adhered to the lettuce leaves. Add Parmesan cheese and croutons, toss again. Serve, and cracked black pepper to taste.
NOTES: I still use a real egg for this recipes. To coddle, place egg in a cup with very very hot water and let it stand about 5 minutes. If you are concerned about *raw* eggs, a refrigerated egg substitute will likely work.
* Alfredo Lopez is a native of Guadalajara Mexico, and trained as a classical chef in Europe.
Why do most people assume California is about L.A. and the beach?

This shot was taken from the clubhouse.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Caesar Salad is one of my favorite meals--especially with salmon. I've never tried making it before. I have no qualms with a real egg, but must sheepishly admit the anchovy part intimidates me.

PS- The best BBQ ever REALLY IS the best BBQ ev-ah!!!

Marta said...

The anchovy really only gives it flavor, you really don't taste it. Only up the anchovy and egg amounts if you are making for 6 or more.

I have to agree with you about the BBQ, it rocks!

Sarah said...

Anchovies are on this upcoming week's grocery list :)