Sunday, June 15, 2008

Wildlife Report


I am working on a new project in the front yard, very ambitious. A new flower bed. I should not be planting anything this time of year, it's way too hot, so I am getting my time in early in the morning. Yesterday I saw movement at my mail box across the road, and saw what I thought was a feral cat nosing around. Suddenly it turned and went back into the woods, and I realized it was a fox! I had been looking at it head on, and my eyesight is not all it used to be. I could not quite figure out it's funny ears, that's what made me think it was feral. Also, it's movement was cat-like. But when I caught the profile, with it's bushy tail and pointy nose, I realized I was looking at a very young red fox. I saw an older one on campus a few weeks ago running down the road, also near some woods. Anyway, I was quite amazed. I see alot of deer, (they like my flowers) but I did not know our neighborhood was quite so diverse! And I guess that settles it....no chickens for me!

No comments: