Sunday, June 29, 2008

I Did It! Haitian Chicken At Last!

Usually I test a recipe before I post it, but I took a chance and posted the last one---Poule---before testing. The thing is, I have been trying off and on for the last 6 months to get this down, without using a recipe. And I could not seem to find a recipe anywhere, which I would have gladly used. For some reason, I finally found the one I posted on from the Internet, but I knew it was not quite right because of the tomato sauce. However, I felt the chicken cooking method might be correct, because I knew I was certainly missing a key factor somewhere in my process. The meat should be falling off the bone, and I just could not get there. Also, the vinegar taste in my attempts was way too strong (yummy...not!) At any rate, I tested the recipe and it worked! Hurray! I did not use the tomato sauce. I made a sauce from browning the chicken after boiling it, which was not that easy, because while the boiling makes the meat tender, it also takes out alot of fat. So after browning for about 20 minutes I had enough liquid to make a rue, to which I added some chicken broth, and lastly some green onions, and Ooh la la! I had it! I like it with Basmati rice. I know that is not Haitian, but it is damn good!

No comments: