Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Magnolia & Gardenia


I was hoping to get this post together a week or two ago, as that was the height of the season, and seasons change. But then, Haiti happened. Need I say more?


************************************

There are some things in the Deep South that just go together. Like peas and carrots. The Braves and beer. And the real important stuff, like Magnolia and Gardenia.

I swear there are few things on this earth more lovely than walking outside on an early summer morning, already warm and humid, and having your senses completely overtaken by these magnificent magnolia and genteel (but tough!) gardenia. The scent alone is nearly overwhelming. Separately, magnolia is musky-sweet. Gardenia is straight-on-for-you sweet. Blended, they are a perfumers heaven. Or perhaps a little preview of heaven for us mere mortals!









In my sleepy little hamlet, people tend to have alot of the same flowers, trees, and shrubs in their yards. Some common, some are rare and heirloom. The reason for this is because most of the houses are at least 50 years old---many quite a bit older----and the people that have lived here over the years shared their bounty. I have learned the hard way, if it's not in my yard, but doing great in someones down the street, find that species and give it a try. I have had success after success that way.

Gardenia, "August Beauty" is covered up twice during the season. June & August.

Disclaimer: these McMansions are not in my neighborhood. But they are a good example of how to use this shrub in a more formal setting.


When not in bloom, gardenia is green with shiny leaves year round. Great idea for right under your window, I promise!


In addition to 'August Beauty', I have several dwarf types planted in containers. I've had this one for years and years! And it never fails to produce heavily!

Magnolia, on the other hand, is a completely different deal. Some folks actually consider this magnificent tree a nuisance which baffles me. Yes, it does drop alot of it's leathery leaves, and you have to clean that up. Yes, it's roots are strong and "invasive" so if you plant a traditional Southern Magnolia right next to your house, you are going to have problems. But, in addition to the flowers, these trees produce wonderful shade, are evergreen, have interesting buds in the winter, and have strong, interesting, gnarly trunks and limbs. What is not to love?

I always wondered why it was traditional at Christmas to have Magnolia wreaths, but living with these huge trees across the street for many years, I now know. The leaves are bi-color (green and shiny, brown and matte on the underside), sturdy, and preserve well. The buds are big like pine cones, except they are dotted with red seeds. I don't like to take too many off a tree, that will be less flowers for the summer. But they are irresistible, and I will be looking forward to making one this winter!

No comments: