Friday, July 4, 2008

Friday's Fave Foods***Grillin'


Ah yes, what could be more *4th of July*? Last week-end, I finally broke down and went out and bought a grill. And I was determined, I did not want a cheapo grill on sale, I did not want an Aussie Grill that you can fold up and tote around---I wanted a Weber. Granted, looking at the budget, it might have to be a Smokey Joe, which retails at around $30.00.



But when I looked at it, in reality, I did not want to deal with finding a table for it, or with crouching down on the ground, so I went for the upgrade . I am not even going to get into a discussion about gas vs wood/charcoal. That is for the experts and the fanatics.


I had to laugh as I was putting it together, it even has whitewall tires! So how, you ask, can a person possibly live in the South and not have a grill? When I was married, we had one just like this that we bought when we still lived in California, but it was red. After the divorce I was too dang poor to buy food much less get a new grill, but when my former husband upgraded to a fancy gas grill for his deck, I was hoping he would give me the Weber. Alas, his new wife sold it at a garage sale, which just proves to me that I should have had the foresight to take the darn thing in the first place!

Fast forward to the last 5.5 years, when I was engaged to the Grillmaster of the South. He had numerous grills, (including 3 Webers) smokers, and a turkey fryer, and somehow I still came away empty handed! Sheesh, you'd think I'd learn something here! Actually, I did learn a whole lot about grilling. So, this summer, I knew I had to have one. It gets so hot in Georgia in the summer, the last thing you want to be doing is cooking in the kitchen, heating up the house, and battling your AC unit which needs all it's strength for the long hot humid summer.





Look how shiny and new the thing is! I knew this was the last time it was going to look like this, so I had to snap a few pictures. It's dark, because a thunderstorm is looming. In addition to putting the thing together, I built this little party pad for it out of some extra brick and pavers I had. At this point, I was feeling entirely too masculine for a girly-girl like me!


Simple Menu For The Grill


Rib eye Steaks


Grilled Corn-on-the-Cob


Easy Potato Salad (not grilled)



Marinate Rib eyes in covered container in Zesty Italian Dressing, refrigerated 1-4 hours.


Prepare corn for grilling by peeling off majority of husk, leaving final layer attached. Peel back, remove all silk. Brush corn with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Cover up with husks, and using water-soaked kitchen string, truss husks around corn securely.


If you have started your coals, you will want to put your corn on first, as it will need to cook for about 30 minutes over INDIRECT heat. Once on the grill, brush with olive oil, turning every 5-7 minutes, depending on how hot your grill is. If you finish the corn before your coals have burned down enough to cook the steaks, you can set aside on grill, or wrap in foil and set off the foil. The corn will have some charred marks on it when you are finished, and believe me, this only makes it better!


Lay your steaks out on direct heat when your coals (or wood, if you are using that) have burned down a bit and are in the medium to low stage. Cook according to how you like it, medium rare, medium, medium well. For medium, and coals in the medium low stage, I usually do about 6 minutes each side. But it's all going to depend on your heat and the thickness of the steak.


Potato Salad


You will probably have to do this in the house---unless you are like the Southern G.M. and have a gas cook top in your shop---, and of course can do it ahead of time. Or not. It's fine served warm too!


2 lbs of Yukon Gold potatoes


3/4 cup of light mayo


1 bunch of green onions


1 tsp. prepared horseradish


Salt and Pepper


Boil cut potatoes about 10 minutes, until you can pierce with a fork, but not falling apart. Yukons cook fast---and are creamy and delicious!


Drain, rinse, and blanch with cold or ice water. Drain again. Add salt and pepper directly onto potatoes. Add mayo and horseradish, and mix well but gently. The potatoes are somewhat fragile, and you really don't want to end up with mashers, do you? Add finely chopped green onions, including greens. Salt and pepper to taste.


***************************************

There you have it. Easy and delicious! Have fun, and happy Fourth!

No comments: