Friday, October 24, 2008

Friday's Fave Foods***Irish Potato Soup

My mom used to make this for us all the time, but I did not know it had a name and was a famous recipe!

I'm on a 'stretch a dollar' theme right now, on this blog and in my life. Maybe you are too. That does not mean we don't have to eat well; we will just concentrate on eating well for less!

This was not my favorite thing as a child, admittedly. Mostly because I did not like milk or milk based products***I used to pour my milk down the sink when my mom wasn't looking. From what I can tell there are alot of kids like that, so don't forget you can go heavy on the stock in this recipe. (Yet one more thing to do with that cooked-down chicken!)

IRISH POTATO SOUP

6 Medium potatoes
2 medium onions
5 cups of stock, (or milk and water equal mixed)
1 cup heavy cream ( you may substitute 1 cup of stock to reduce calories)
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp parsley or chives
salt and pepper (to taste)




Directions
Peel and dice the potatoes and finely chop the onions. Use a saucepan with a cover, melt the butter, and cook the onions and potatoes until soft, but not colored or browned. Add the liquid stock and cream. Stir continuously and bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to simmer, and cover for 30 minutes. Add seasoning to taste. Sprinkle parsley or chives on top of each bowl as served.

NOTES: Mom used to throw in bacon bits (real ones, not that crap you buy in a jar) to entice us kids. Also, you may substitute leeks for onions if you are feelin' fancy!

No comments: