Friday, October 3, 2008

Friday's Fave Foods***Oven Roasted Potatoes



I think oven roasted potatoes, when done right, are to die for! Usually you find them at nice restaurants. For years I tried to duplicate these, watching the chefs I was working with carefully. You know, chefs as a rule, are not all that transparent, and they like it that way. After years of skulking around professional kitchens, I finally figured it out. It's not hard, but there is a method, and it does take time.

I like using baby red potatoes, but you can use any kind, just cut them down to size. 'Yukon Gold' is probably my favorite potato for this and for potato salad. Just remember these potatoes are more delicate than most and they cook down alot faster.

I do not hesitate to use wood cutting boards. I am the sanitizing queen, but I am extremely turned off by what I consider the over-hype of germology...and yes, I just made that word up!

Bring the water in the sauce pan to a boil. Place a small amount (less than a teaspoon) of olive oil in the skillet, and place in a preheated oven (425 degrees)

I usually preheat the oven, put the skillet in, and get the water going first. Then cut the potatoes. Place potatoes in boiling water for 10 minutes or until barely tender with a fork. Drain, and blanch with cold water. Take hot skillet out of the oven and place potatoes in the pan. Return to oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the potatoes are seared on one side. Turn potatoes, and place back in oven for about 10 more minutes. Reduce oven to 350. Remove skillet, and add 1.) onion or 2.) garlic or both. Or, add 1.)rosemary or 2.)garlic or both. Salt and pepper to taste. Return to oven and cook until done, about 10 to 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally.

That's it!

Notes: Men and boys love this!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marta,

I printed out this recipe and my husband said, "Now this is one I'm going to like". I'm kind of a meat and potatoes girl, so I know I'll love it too.

Gretchen

Marta said...

Gretchen:

That recipe was a little unorganized, I was writing it like I cook, which is by *feel* if that makes sense. I keep olive oil in a squirt bottle and when I'm tossing those potatoes around, I will add a little more to them, it gives them a sheen and it makes the salt and pepper stick to them!